Sunday 19 August 2012

I hate microwave dinners and why diets don't work

There was a lot of learning to do. You know when you think you know about something and it turns out you really know squat? That kind of happened to me. Part of the program was to take some classes on nutrition and making better food choices. Let me preface by saying, I (almost) always read food labels, just not all of it. I read the fat and sugar (as my mother taught me), then the carbs, as I learned from my first, incomplete, foray with a dietician many years ago. I always skipped over the calories, I had no idea what role they played in a healthy diet. I knew they were a form of energy, and I knew all the skinny girls on tv thought less was better, but I didn't know how much I needed. The only time I didn't read the label was when I KNEW it was bad for me. Why bother? I'm buying it because I want it, I'm an adult now, I can have cookies for dinner and no one can stop me. So what if I eat half a bag or oreos and a whole package of pistachio pudding for supper? I'm good, I read food labels for everything else, right? Wrong. I started attending the classes and keeping a food log. I started to realise that maybe I wasn't getting all the suggested servings of food groups in a day. Maybe I was eating at restraunts too often, and maybe, just maybe, calories were important.

The classes were amusing to me, as well as informative. I knew a lot of what they were teaching, but some of the people there knew even less. I don't know if it was ignorance or just plain stupidity, but I was amused. I tried to steer clear of the brand names that had 'healthy' in them. I knew there was trickery involved, (it was acutally salt). I just didn't know how it could be good for you with that many ingredients, most of which I couldn't pronounce. And the smell. I couldn't stand the smell of a microwaved dinner. It induced my gag reflex to such a degree, I almost couldn't eat my lunch. And it lingered, like an annoying neighbour who doesn't have a phone and needs to call an emergency dentist but makes you do it because 'I'm not from this town, it would be weird.' (true story). I've always been a decent cook, and it was easy, why couldn't they do it to? Then I realised, just because I think it's easy, doesn't mean it's easy for everyone. Just like everyone I know can type with out using the backspace key at a 2:1 ratio of the other keys, doesn't mean I can. (trust me, the word 'backspace' isn't even on the key anymore). Then I realised it is also about perception. They precieve cooking to be hard and want to be good at it right away. Doesn't work that way. Takes practice. Know how many alfredo sauces I burned (a lot)? Or protiens I burnt or had to put back in the oven because it was still oinking (even more)? But people want easy, so thats what they get, and who can blame them.

I really felt for the health care professionals teaching these classes. So few of us were there to learn, all the rest looking for excuses and magic treatments. I knew this was a long, hard, road and I was changing the way I would be eating for the rest of my life. I knew I was going to give my children a better relationship with food than I had, but it was going to take work. They had no idea. The reason diets don't work, is as soon as you lose the weight, no one maintains it. They go back to eating the way they did before and gain it all back. 'Why am I fat again? Weight doesn't come back after you lose it. Must be a gladular problem...oh, hello, burger. om nom nom nom.' There is no maintenance after the fact. They see it as 'being on a diet' rather than changing your lifestyle. Changing your lifestyle is difficult, a lifetime of bad habits and addictions to all the wrong sort of foods, throw up many road blocks. Those foods were soooo good and hard to give up. I missed cheese in large quantities, sweet, bread like confections, and the large amount of bread I used to eat. I once ate an entire loaf of sourdough bread with a spinach dip I made and couldn't get enough of. In one sitting. While watching a movie. Nearly went into a food coma while the dog cleaned up the crumbs around my bloated, bready, corpse. But up until this point, I was doing okay. Only eating out 2 times per week, making better choices at the restraunts, and eating better at home was having an effect. I was losing weight. 1-2 pounds per week, as promised. And I felt better, had more energy. Life was looking better. Then came the class that threatened to derail me.

Emotional eating is something that I didn't want to face, but knew I needed to in order for this lifestyle change to be sucessful. I always imagined emotional eating as a fat person, sobbing uncontrolably, and shoveling food into their mouth. It's not always like that, and for me it was stress. Or my daydreams of being skinny interuppted by the sounds of my own chewing. That was upsettingly ironic. So I learned a few things, one of which was the 80/20 rule. They taught you not all your food had to be good 100 percent of the time. You are allowed to have a bad food choice once in a while. So I started adopting that, very losely and not quite as stringent as I thought. I was using it so liberally, that it hindered my weight loss for a while. See, I was using it for individual meals (salad, no dressing, with my burger) and then for all the meals that same day (pizza for supper, no veggies). So it ended up being more like the 50/50 rule, or even the 40/60 rule. It was getting bad, there was cheese on everything, pizza all the time, and a not so uncommon addiction to toast with peanut butter and jam. I was enjoying food again. All the time. What was happening to me? I was doing so well, now I was derailing in a big way. I found an excuse to eat the bad things I wanted again. It was bad, very bad. And I needed to get back on track. I wasn't putting everything in my food log. Flat out, I was cheating. But whom was I cheating? Not the dietician or the nurse or the doctor. I was cheating myself, and my future children that may never happen because I couldn't get my shit together. No more 80/20 rule. Time to get real...again.

1 comment: