Wednesday 5 September 2012

The end of my world! (I may have overreacted here)

This turned out to be waaayyy harder than I thought. Who knew that changing a lifetime of bad eating habits and a crack like addiction to carbs would be so freakin' difficult? Apparently, not me. I was beginning struggle so badly, after I had started out strongly. And every time I fell off the wagon, I felt I was starting all over again. It wasn't really that bad, but I tend to overreact, so it felt that bad. Then came an actual, life changing, moment, that wasn't that bad but I lost my shit anyway. My boyfriend was diagnosed with Celiac disease. That meant no wheat. As much as carbs were my enemy, I still wanted to have them once in a while. It was safer to have a wheat free house than to risk cross contamination. So after a bit of research, I had a melt down. Nothing major, kind of like the fire in the chemical plant in superman 3, where everything ended up fine, but almost exploded? Wheat was good at hiding....EVERYWHERE! We threw out so much food and cleaned everything. We had to drop most of our favorite restaurants, which was kind of a good thing, but anyone who knows me knows I like to do things on my own terms, not because I have too (I'm kinda stubborn that way). So all that hard work was about to look like a skinned knee compared to the hemorrhaging brain that was was about to ensue.

Not only was I reading nutrition labels. I was checking ingredient lists for sneaky sources of wheat and Google-ing brand names to finds out if they had wheat free facilities. Then I became a know it all. Worse than before. I annoyed all my co workers and my friends and anyone who would listen, with facts about Celiac disease and wheat and blah blah blah. I'm also a bit of a show off, so I wanted everyone to know how smart I am. (That's the price you pay for being friends with someone so awesome. Take that!) The avoidance of wheat turned out to have a good side effect. See, wheat mostly resides in the restricted section of the grocery store....the middle aisles. Not as intersting as the restricted section at Hogwarts, but it was to be avoided nonetheless. See, the outside edges of the grocery store have all the 'good' stuff. All the fruits, veggies, dairy and meat. There is also the bakery, but we just avoided that all together. Until that is where they but the gluten free bread. Makes sense, but also under minds my point...dammit. My point is, the gluten free diet made it easier to stick to the good parts of the grocery store. And caused another problem. See, gluten free diets are good, because you are eliminating excessive carbs. Gluten free diets are not good, when you sub them out for gluten free carbs. In my label comparisons, gluten free bread has more calories and carbs than regular bread. But it is a craze right now, so let the whores have their trinkets, I suppose. (I have no idea what that means).

So we started eating gluten free carbs, pasta, bread, cookies, etc. Its just like eating a regular cookie, but doesn't taste as good. In fact, it tastes like crap. I was so busy trying to replace our gluten with gluten free, I was forgetting the big picture. Weight loss! Hello! I forgot my rules, to measure my pasta and bread, have half my plate be veggies and eat low fat dairy. That was easily rectified, and I was back on track. Then I got the phone call I had been waiting for. The clinic my doctors office had referred me to approved me and was ready to book my first appointment. I was excited and apprehensive. I had worked hard and lost about 20 pounds, but I knew this was one step closer to possible surgery, which was kind of scary. I didn't know much about bariatric surgery, and I knew they would teach me, but, I was mostly worried about the new people I would meet. Would my new nurse and dietician be as awesome as the ones I had now? (spoiler: Hell no). I knew my diet would have to change again, but to what extreme? I had to do something else, I was almost at my plateau. See, it is really difficult to lose more than 5 to 10 % of your body weight with diet and exercise alone. That was 34 pounds, max. That wasn't going to cut it. My first visit proved to be both frustrating and uplifting at the same time. The clinic had a lot of success stories, but any weight loss program other than theirs was shunned like that awkward cousin that you're sure is a virgin at 40 and has serious impulse control issues so becomes a mailman (mine was a girl, go figure). I asked about HCG, which was a diet my best friend was on and had been hugely successful. I was worried because I was diabetic and needed more information than the internet could provide. My doctor didn't know enough about it and referred my to a gynecologist, but his wait list was about 6 months. This was my only option for now. So I trucked on, open to all options and waiting to learn new and exciting things.

No comments:

Post a Comment